The Advocate’s office analysed all the data received and identified a range of themes and trends:
- The pathway to becoming a GP is a long and sometimes confusing path
- Recruitment and retention of doctors is a significant issue
- Many General practices are not publicly funded, they are small businesses and they need to be viable
- Currently many doctors working in Latrobe travel daily from inner Melbourne to work.
- There are limited after hours or weekend services available which puts additional pressure on emergency departments
- Many new doctors have different needs, preferring part time and job share arrangements
- There have been significant changes to the design and delivery of GP services, communities haven’t been involved in the change and their expectations are not being met.
- A future approach is a multidisciplinary approach; Nurse Practitione